Happy Valentine’s Day! I wanted to know more about this holiday so I looked it up and here goes. Valentine’s Day is an annual celebration of love that is observed by millions of people worldwide. This holiday is the day where couples (or those hoping to be coupled) exchange gifts, cards, and flowers as a symbol of their love for each other. The origins of Valentine’s Day can be traced back to ancient Rome, where a pagan festival known as Lupercalia was held to honor the god of fertility.
Over time, the Christian church sought to replace the pagan festival with a Christian holiday, and Valentine’s Day was born. The holiday is named after Saint Valentine, a third-century martyr who was executed for performing marriages in secret. Legend has it that Saint Valentine fell in love with the daughter of his jailer and wrote her a letter signed “Your Valentine” before he was, sadly, put to death.
Today, Valentine’s Day is celebrated in many different ways around the world. While some people view it as a commercialized holiday, others see it as an opportunity to express their love and appreciation for their partner or others in their life. School children often exchange Valentines and Valentine candy with their friends.
Here are some ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day:
- Plan a romantic dinner: A special evening at a restaurant or a special meal at home with your significant other. Many restaurants offer Valentine’s Day specials and you could also try something new to both of you.
- Movie night: Plan a movie night at home with your partner. Choose romantic movies or comedies that both of you would enjoy.
- Gifts: A gift doesn’t need to be expensive. Flowers are always nice but something that is meaningful and reflects your relationship can be a thoughtful notion as well.
- Plan a surprise: Tickets to a local concert or play, a hike or bike ride and a picnic, dinner and a walk on the beach, don’t need to cost a lot but will demonstrate your thoughtfulness in the planning.
- Staycation: Book a weekend getaway to a nearby bed and breakfast or resort for some special time with your partner.
- Spa day: Treat your special someone to a massage or book a couples spa day and enjoy the day together.
Spend some time thinking about your person’s unique qualities and interests – what would mean the most to them? Something as simple as getting bundled up and grabbing a blanket for some nighttime star-gazing can make for a memorable evening if it’s something you love doing together. Be creative!
Most importantly, remember that while Valentine’s Day is a lovely remembrance, it’s important to remind your partner of your love and appreciation every day of the year.
Warm Valentine’s wishes!